The Risotto Challenge: Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme
Adapted from Epicurious and Dana Slatkin
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
4 cups mushroom or chicken broth (Thanks to Dana for pointing out this omission!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 8-ounce package sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
1 cup dry white wine
Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot, heat the broth over a low flame until simmering. The broth should continue bubbling slowly while you prepare the dish.
- In another medium pot, heat a half tablespoon of oil until nearly smoking and cook the diced mushrooms until browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the olive oil to the pot. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, stirring often to prevent browning.
- Add the quinoa and cook for a few minutes until the grains are coated in oil and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until evaporated.
- Ladle a half cup of hot broth into the quinoa and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Continue the process, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time, until the quinoa is fully cooked and there is no more broth, about 25 minutes..
- Stir the diced mushrooms and Parmesan cheese into the risotto. Spoon into serving bowls and top with the trumpet mushrooms. Serve immediately, with additional Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.