Grill-zah (grilled pizza) is a very delicious treat! We make the grill bread from Grill It!, an amazing cookbook written by Chris Schlesinger, owner of my favorite restaurant in Cambridge, East Coast Grill, and then we top it with whatever looks yummy! Pictured here is pesto. goat cheese, chicken sausage pizza (left) and BBQ chicken and broccoli pizza. Another favorite is caramelized onions, pears, and blue cheese. Whatever you put on top, make sure you precook it if it will take some time to cook, because the pizzas are only on long enough to melt the cheese and warm
makes 4 flat loaves
1 Tbs active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup of beer at room temp
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp kosher salt
- Stir together yeast and 1/2 cup flour in a bowl with electric mixer (we use the dough hook attachment to our kitchenaid standmixer). Add the warm water and mix until blended. Cover with damp towel and let stand in a warm, draft-free place for 30 min.
- Add 2 tbs oil and beer to yeast mixture and mix well. Add cornmeal and 1 tsp salt and begin adding remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is satiny and slightly sticky (about 8 min)
- Place dough in oiled bowl, turn to coat. Cover loosely and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size (1-1/5 hours). Divide dough into quarters and form into balls. Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal and palce balls on sheet. Cover and let rise again for 30 min
- Build a fire on your charcoal grill. When the flames have died down and the temp ios MEDIUM, you are ready to grill some grill-zah!
- Stretch each ball of dough into a circle, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place directly on grill and cook until black spots form on the bottom and bubbles form on top (about 4 min)
- Flip bread over to grill other side. Now is your chance to put your toppings on! Put on all your toppings (most should be precooked, unless they cook really fast), and put the lid on the grill. Give it another 3-4 minutes, remove from grill, enjoy!